Southern US Slang Quiz
Are you an Expert in Southern US Slang?
How much do you know about Southern Slang in the UNITED STATES? This quiz will test your knowledge of the essential slang of the US Southern states. Are you an expert, novice, or clueless? This quiz will show you just how knowledgeable you are with the Southern translation of the English language. If you were on vacation in the Southern United States, would you need a translator?
Can you speak Southern Slang fluently? Take the quiz to find out just how much you know or DON’t know about Southern Slang in the US.
- ❤️ Special thanks to Isabella and Mendybob for the awesome voice acting :)
- What is the translation of “fixin’ to”?“I am getting ready to”“I am repairing something”“I need a tool”“I have tools”
- In Southern Slang, what does “ain’t got no” mean?I don’t want anythingI do not have anyThere is nothing hereCompletely confused
- If you asked someone how they are doing and they reply, “fair to middlin’ ”, what would they mean by this?doing greatthe weather is fairsomewhere between "okay" and "almost good"not well at all
- What is a “Yungun”?a type of oniona child or “young one”a place to keep gunsa southern dish
- Where is “over yunder”?in the skya place of wonderA non-specific place, or generic term for “over there”under something
- What are “chittlins”?cooked pig intestines for eatinganother term for childrena term for chit-chatanother word for chickens
- What does the term “a few eggs shy of a dozen” mean?the person being refered to has a mental glitchthere isn’t enough eggsyou don’t have enough money to buy eggsthe eggs are bad
- If a Southerner says “much uh-bliged”, what would they mean?they are madthey are not happythey are very disturbedthey are very appreciative
- What is a “poke”?a southern bird only found in Alabamaa fisha sack or baga tool for stoking the fire
- What is a “Yankee dime”?small currencynorthern coinsa kissa joke
- What is an “outhouse”?A tiny housea shed or storage buildinga barnan outdoor toilet
- What is moonshine?Liquor made from potatoesCorn whiskeyhome brewed beerlight from the moon
- What does “a-hollerin’” at someone mean?yelling at themsinging to themwhispering to themignoring them
- If a southerner says, “we’ll holler attcha after while” it means what?we will scream at youwe will talk to you laterwe are going to the hollowwe wont be gone long
- Translate “uh-feared”.afraidofferedotherafter
- How drunk is “three sheets and grandmaws quilt in the wind”?not drunka little "tipsy"totally plasteredcan still walk
- What is a “mud-cat”?a dirty cata type of catfisha large mud-colored cata muddy fellow
- What is a “sod-buster” referring to?a sod grass cuttera shovela doctora farmer
- What does “Don’t be a-countin’ yer chickens a-for they hatch” mean?don’t assume anythingcount your eggs firstwait for the chickens to roostcount your chickens after they hatch
- What does a “fur piece” mean?a bear-skin ruga mink handbagfur coatvery far away or a long way
- [audio] If you heard this Southern slang phrase, what would you translate it to mean?The man doesn’t like batsThe man is poorThe man doesn’t make good decisionsThe man is sensitive to bats
- [audio]If you are asking about the character of a person and hear this reply, what is the meaning of that answer?The woman is a baseball pitcherThe woman is very strongThe woman is trustworthyThe woman can’t be trusted
- [audio] Listen to the following audio clip. What is the translation of the child’s statement?When are we eating? I’m so hungry that my stomach is angry.Hurry up with dinner! I’m getting really mad.If we don’t eat soon, I’m going to starve!When will we be eating lunch? I’m beginning to get an appetite.
- [audio]Listen to the audio clip. What reason does this person give for needing help?The person is injured.The person in a desperate situation.This person has a sore tail.This person is stuck in a crack.
- [audio]Listen to the statement. What advice is this person giving you?If something is broken, call a repair man.If you break something, try to hide it.Do not try to correct a problem that does NOT exist.You should repair broken things without getting help from anyone.