Who *Really* Invented It Quiz
Sometimes it's all we can do to keep up with technology. Think about where the world was even 5 years ago. Discoveries are happening faster because as knowledge increases, it is easier to build more and more new technologies.
There's a reason why Da Vinci couldn't get his aeroplane to work...electricity, motorization, etc. had not been discovered yet. Imagine what he would do if he were born today!
Take this 20 question quiz to see how much you know about inventions and their inventors!
- Contrary to popular myth, this person did NOT make a mistake when she created perhaps the most life-altering invention in history - the Chocolate Chip Cookie.Burl IvesRuth Graves WakefieldGallileoBetsy Ross
- The invention of fire gave humans a means to keep warm, cook food, and venture into new lands. Who figured this out?Gal-SalMuk-Luk
her sleeps under 2nd rock on rightPliny the Elder
- Who invented the printing press, allowing bibles and books to be inexpensive and therefor widely distributed?Johannes GutenbergSteve GuttenbergThomas EdisonPliny the Younger
- Who first harnessed electricity?Thales of MiletusBenjamin FranklinPliny the Middle AgedGeneral E. Lectric
- Anesthesia was perhaps one of the greatest advances in healthcare, providing comfort for the wounded, surgical patients, and people who suffer chronic pain. So who was behind this miraculous invention?Keith RichardsThat guy who wrote "Walden"Horace WellsPliny the elder, but not like, "elderly"
- The Internal Combustion Engine converts potential chemical energy into mechanical energy...to power cars, planes, chainsaws, space ships. Kind of a big deal. So who was the genius who started it all?Etienne LenoirAlexander Graham BellLeonardo da VinciWhoever cooked those enchiladas we had last night
- Who invented the first vaccine? It was for Smallpox.Bruce JennerCaitlyn JennerEdward JennerKylie Jenner
- The Internet is a networking infrastructure, whereas the World Wide Web is a way to access information over the medium of the Internet. Changing the landscape of business, communication, commerce, and education (among others), who invented the World Wide Web?Donald TrumpSteve JobsTim Berners-LeeAl Gore
- The airplane has to be one of the most astounding inventions of all time. Moving people great distances in a matter of hours has revolutionized business, diplomacy, the travel industry, and has decimated your excuse to not visit your parents over the holidays. Who invented it?Leonardo da VinciWilbur and Orville WrightWilbur and Orville ReddenbockerAlberto Santos-Dumont
- Contraceptives have been in use, in varying levels of effectiveness, since 1500. In the 1960s the "pill", an oral contraceptive for women to prevent ovulation, was invented. Who invented it?Carl DjerassiMasters and JohnsonAl GoreJonas Salk
- Who blessed and cursed us with the invention of the first handheld (mobile) phone?Thomas EdisonThe "Can you hear me now" guy from VerizonAlexander Graham BellJohn F. Mitchell and Martin Cooper of Motorola
- Who invented frequency hopping: a way of jumping around on radio frequencies in order to avoid a third party jamming your signal. While originally invented to thwart enemy jamming of Allied radio communications, it led to Wireless technology, Bluetooth, and GPS which most of us use every day?Ada LovelaceHedy LamarrBarbara StanwyckMarilyn Monroe
- This person discovered the principle of Radioactivity, and the elements Polonium and Radium. This was also the first person to win two Nobel Prizes.Marie CurieAnn TsukamotoMary ShelleyVivien Leigh
- We're going to switch up the rule here. Television was an amazing achievement in technology, giving us great cinema, timely news, and awful, awful reality shows. A lot of people had their hands in its development, including everyone below BUT one. Who below had NOTHING to do with it?Vladimir ZworykinPhilo TaylorThomas EdisonPaul Gottlieb Nipkow
- The very first programmer was a Navy Commander who was asked to program the Mark I at Harvard during WWI. After the war, the commander created the first compiler that translated written language into computer code, creating the first widely used programming language, COBOL.Charles BabbageBill GatesGrace HopperCarly Fiorina
- Although the discovery of the DNA double helix is often attributed to James Watson and Francis Crick, who won the Nobel Prize for physiology in 1962, it was not actually theirs to claim. This inventor, a British biophysicist, was the first person to capture a photographic image while observing molecules using x-ray diffraction. Without permission, an estranged male colleague showed the photograph to competitors Watson and Crick, who stole the credit as their own. So who really discovered the double helix of DNA?Maria TelkesRosalind FranklinElizabeth MagieStephanie Kwolek
- Stem-Cell Isolation - this was a huge and complex invention—the ability to isolate the stem cell has been vital in learning more about cancer and is arguably the most promising field to one day eradicate cancer. Who did it?Elon MuskAlbert EinsteinAnn TsukamotoAlan Turing