New Zealand Christmas Trivia: Holiday Cheer Down Under!
Get ready to deck the halls with facts and fun this holiday season! Our New Zealand Christmas Trivia is the perfect way to test your knowledge of Kiwi festive traditions and historic celebrations. Are you ready to ring in the holidays with a challenge?
- How did Captain Cook and his crew celebrate Christmas on board the Endeavour while battling heavy seas off the northern tip of the North Island in 1769?With a special serving of pickled herringWith a meal of ‘Goose pye’ (made with gannet)With a feast of salted pork and hardtackThey did not celebrate Christmas at all
- Who is credited with conducting the first Christmas Day service in New Zealand?Richard JohnsonJohn KingWilliam ColensoSamuel Marsden
- A ‘light the cigarette race’ (as seen at Tolaga Bay School’s Christmas party in 1953) was run on ships crossing the Atlantic in the early 20th century as a way to:Entertain passengers during long voyagesGet passengers fit while at seaSettle bets among the crewEncourage socializing among passengers
- Santa Claus made his commercial New Zealand debut in which year?1984192218941020
- Which organisation supplied free cigars, coffee and cake to New Zealand soldiers at Christmas during the First World War?The Salvation ArmyThe Red CrossYMCANew Zealand Expeditionary Force
- Under the terms of the Holidays Act 2003, most people who work on Christmas Day are entitled to:Double time pay onlyStandard pay with no additional benefitsTime-and-a-half pay and an alternative day offTime-and-a-half pay only
- What did 72% of Kiwis surveyed by Reader’s Digest in 2006 claim they would prefer to eat for Christmas dinner?A barbeque on the beachA roast dinner and Christmas puddingA seafood feastA vegetarian meal
- What tree did some early settlers refer to as ‘Antipodean holly’?PōhutukawaKauriRimuManuka
- According to a popular New Zealand Christmas song of the 1960s, who will ‘pull the Christmas sleigh in the southern hemisphere’?Sticky Beak the KiwiKiwi the KangarooPuku the PossumMoa the Mysterious
- In which department store did Santa Claus first appear in New Zealand?Kirkcaldie & Stains, WellingtonBallantynes, ChristchurchDIC, WellingtonSmith & Caughey's, Auckland